Have you sailed dinghies in the past and are now thinking of starting again? Maybe you sailed as a junior and were too busy to keep it up, but now have more free time or want to sail with your own kids. Perhaps you raced dinghies in your home city, but have now moved to Dublin and want to sail again.
If so, the answer may be to join the IDRA fleet in the Dun Laoghaire Motor Yacht Club, either by buying your own boat or crewing for somebody else. There are also opportunities to help out on race committee boats.
To help you decide whether the IDRA is the right dinghy for you, we are running a “come and try it event” on Saturday 16th June for adults with at least some previous dinghy experience, however long ago.
The IDRA is an economical two-person racing dinghy with spinnaker and trapeze. It is the most active two-person dinghy racing fleet in Dun Laoghaire.
You will be taken out in an IDRA for about an hour by one of the active IDRA sailors and can then meet other sailors and potential sailors for refreshment in the DMYC bar and to ask any remaining questions.
- Date: Saturday 16 June.
- Location: Dun Laoghaire Motor Yacht Club (DMYC).
- There is a non-refundable charge of €10 per person, payable online at time of booking. This is to cover fuel for the RIBs and refreshments in the bar. The people bringing you out will be providing their dinghies and their own time for free.
- Showers and changing facilities are available in the club. Bring your own towel, shampoo etc.,
- We can lend buoyancy aids and trapeze harnesses if necessary. Bring your own wetsuit etc., if you have them, otherwise bring the most suitable clothing and footwear you have for dinghy sailing, not forgetting a change of clothes for afterwards. If you have moved to Ireland from a warmer climate, remember that what you wear sailing at home may not be adequate in Ireland.
- Timing yet to be finalised but the first session will start at approx. 11.00am and, depending on numbers, we may have a second session about 1.5 hours later.
- We may have to cancel the session if the weather is unsuitable. We will try to notify you in advance.
- Adults only. While people under 18 do sail from the DMYC with parents or friends and the DMYC does offer junior sailing courses, unfortunately we cannot accept people under 18 on this particular event. This is because few if any of the volunteers involved in this event have Garda vetting or child protection training.
- This event is for those with at least some previous dinghy experience. By attending you confirm that you have previous dinghy experience, understand the risks involved and accept that you participate at your own risk
- Any questions to [email protected]
Booking has now closed, but we may still be able to fit you in, please email [email protected] and provide your phone number and we can discuss.